There are important things you should do with a septic system. Following these guidelines will help ensure optimal septic system performance.
Please keep the following in mind with your septic system:
- Do learn the location of your septic tank and drainfield. Keep a sketch of it handy with your maintenance record for service visits.
- Do have your septic system inspected annually.
- Do have your septic tank pumped out by a licensed contractor, approximately every three to five years, or as often as is appropriate for your system
- Do keep your septic tank cover accessible for inspections and pumping. Install risers if necessary.
- Do call a professional whenever you experience problems with your system, or if there are any signs of system failure. *Do keep a detailed record of repairs, pumping, inspections, permits issued, and other maintenance activities.
- Do conserve water to avoid overloading the system. Be sure to repair any leaky faucets or toilets.
- Do divert other sources of water, like roof drains, house footing drains, and sump pumps, away from the septic system. Excessive water keeps the soil in the drainfield from naturally cleansing the wastewater.